The quirky and artistic island of Galiano is the perfect nature escape. Although remote, it can be reached by a direct one-hour ferry from Tsawwassen making it the ideal location to get away from the city for the weekend.
Galiano Island has many unique places to stay that provide an authentic West Coast island experience. From charming boutique hotels to cozy B&Bs, we list the best Galiano Island accommodation, each for a unique reason.
Best Accommodation on Galiano Island
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services we have used or that we believe will add value to our readers. Thank you for supporting us!
Unique Hotels on Galiano Island
Our top 3 hotel picks below each have a unique setting and certain advantages over each other.
Best hotel for rustic vibes: Bodega Ridge & Cove CabinsIf you are looking for rustic island vibes, Bodega Ridge & Cove Cabins is the place to be. The boutique hotel has seven log cabins, situated on 22 acres and down on the water at Bodega Cove. The cabins are stylishly designed with a cozy chic interior and cedar deck. It's a great place for groups or families as some of the cabins fit up to six people.
Their onsite South East-Asian inspired restaurant, Lola, brings locally caught seafood, fresh produce and fire-forged ingredients to their dishes. It's led by Head Chef Elmark, whose Filipino upbringing shaped his culinary passion, starting in his grandmother's kitchen. Before moving to Galiano, Chef Elmark worked at prominent restaurants such as Dirty Apron and Bao Bei in Vancouver. The setting feels magical with the outdoor fairy lights and cozy rustic wooden cabin.
One thing you will want to consider when staying at Bodega Ridge is the location. It's a 27 minute drive away from the main centre and ferry terminal and a 20 minute drive away from Montague Harbour. This will make drives longer if you wish to explore some of the main sights. However, if you're looking for a remote experience, Bodega Ridge is a great choice.Read reviews for Bodega Ridge
Best hotel for ocean views: Oceanfront Inn & SpaThe Oceanfront Inn & Spa sits on the shore of Sturdies Bay and has serene ocean views. The boutique hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the ferry terminal, making it a great place to stay if you don't want to take a car on the ferry. The hotel offers Smart Car rentals, making exploring the island a breeze. The car rental rate is $45 CAD for four hours, $80 CAD for 8 hours, or $120 CAD for 24 hours.
The Madrona del Mar Spa is excellent with its skilled therapists and relaxing Mediterranean feel. After you're done getting your massage you can sit outside with a tea and enjoy peaceful views of the ocean and flowers around you.
Stop in at their oceanfront pizza patio, La Lena, for lunch. They serve unique pizzas such as curry chicken pizza, roasted yam pizza and duck confit pizza. There is an onsite restaurant called Atrevida, but we found that there are better spots on the island.
The hotel is lacking in its service and attention to detail in rooms. Part of this could be because we last visited during the pandemic, however, the staff seemed almost absent. I called to get my spa robe and I couldn't get a hold of anyone for an hour. I even went down to the lobby and no one was there. Luckily, 5 minutes before my massage, I was able to get a hold of someone to get my robe in time.
The rooms have ocean views and a wood-burning fireplace, however, the attention to detail is lacking for the price they charge. For example, there were two different coloured lightbulbs in each of our bedside lamps, one being a warm colour and the other being a bright cool colour that you would see in an office. The rooms felt slightly unwelcoming with their cold features.
If you're looking for a more luxurious stay and attentive staff, we recommend Woodstone Manor which is coming up next on our list. If you're looking for a place close to the ferry with a great spa and ocean views, Oceanfront Inn is a good choice.See rates for Galiano Oceanfront Inn & Spa
Best hotel for a cozy-luxe feel: Woodstone ManorWoodstone Manor is a charming boutique hotel on Galiano Island with a heritage feel and relaxing pastoral views. The attention to detail and service is excellent. The rooms are warm and spacious, each coming with spa robes and slippers, and the beds are very comfortable.
Sitting on the terrace for breakfast is a delight as you have beautiful views of the farm next door with retired racehorses. The fine dining restaurant serves tasty European-inspired cuisine.
On the second floor, there is a lounge, which was our favourite room in the hotel. It's super cozy with the fireplace and big comfy couches and chairs. There is a stack of board games you can choose from.
The hotel is located a 5 minute drive away from the main centre and ferry terminal. It's also only a 10 minute walk away from the Hummingbird Pub. We had a few drinks at the local pub and then walked back to the hotel to play board games.
If you are looking for West Coast island vibes, you may not get it here as the decor has a colonial England-type of feel. If you're looking for something that feels cozy-luxe however, this is a great spot to pick.
If you are keen on having ocean views, note that the hotel sits on a wooded acreage with countryside views.Read reviews for Woodstone Manor
5 Best B&Bs on Galiano Island to experience the islander way of life
We have rounded up some of the best B&Bs on Galiano Island, each for a unique reason.
1. Best for soaking in a hot tub with ocean views: InTheBluffWhat makes this B&B special: InTheBluff is a private escape with spectacular ocean views of Active Pass, an active marine channel where you can spot whales, eagles, seals and otters. The artisan log home has two bedrooms with queen-sized beds, a wood burning fireplace, a large deck and infinity-edge hot tub overlooking the ocean pass. InTheBluff is a 5 minute drive away from Sturdies Bay and the main hub Galiano.
2. Best for a weekend away with friends: Waterfront Escape on Galiano IslandWhat makes this B&B special: The Waterfront Escape is an extraordinary spot for a tranquil getaway with your friends. The house is perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean and can accommodate up to 6 people. With 200° of ocean views, you will have marvellous sunsets. The detached boathouse is set up like a yoga studio and also has incredible sea views. Do yoga with your friends in the morning, suntan on the large infinity daybed, have dinner outside on the wooden table or cozy up by the fire in the living room at night time.
3. Best within walking distance to town & the ferry: Waterfront StaycationWhat makes this place special: Although the Waterfront Staycation is close to the main centre, it feels off the beaten path with its serene oceanfront views of Whaler Bay. Whaler Bay has calm water, making it ideal for water sports like kayaking or SUP boarding. The large 300 sq.ft. deck is a wonderful spot to have a glass of wine or barbecue and admire the views.
4. Best for a romantic getaway: Eagles Nest Retreat
5. Best for an off-the-grid experience: Rustic Cabin in the WoodsWhat makes this B&B special: Rustic Cabin in the Woods is a super cozy cabin nestled in the forest with a rustic island feel. It's the perfect spot for a secluded nature escape. The cabin is only 200 sq.ft., making it a great way to experience the 'tiny house movement'. A wooden ladder leads you to a loft where you will find the bedroom. Play board games by the floor-to-ceiling window, have a campfire outside in the firepit or take a 20-minute walk to Retreat Cove, a hidden sandstone cave. Something important to note is that the shower and toilet are located outside of the cabin.
- ⭐ rating: 4.81 (500+ reviews)
- Minimum stay: 2 night minimum
We hope you enjoyed these unique accommodations on Galiano Island!
Start planning your trip to Galiano Island
- 🛏️ Browse more hotels and B&Bs: on Booking.com or VRBO
- 🌊 Fun Activities: see our list of the 12 top things to do on Galiano
- 🍴 Restaurants: see our list of the 8 best restaurants on the island
- ⛴ Book your ferry: BC Ferries
- 🚗 Car rental: see Rentalcars.com to compare car rental prices across different companies.
You should also consider visiting the bohemian island of Salt Spring along the ferry route. We list 21 fun things to do on this free-spirited island.
Looking for an oceanfront glamping experience? Check out our review of luxury camping on Hornby Island at Fossil Beach Farm.
Planning a trip around BC? See our full list of the top 17 getaways from Vancouver.