Although Galiano Island has a small community of just over 1,000 people, here you will discover an excellent culinary scene with many eateries to enjoy. Each restaurant has a special and fun vibe that is worth checking out. There are a variety of places to choose from, including one of Canada's top 100 restaurants and quirky food trucks in the forest.
The one thing Galiano restaurants have in common is a focus on fresh locally sourced ingredients. We list the 8 best Galiano Island restaurants you don't want to miss!
Best Galiano Island Restaurants
8 Best Restaurants on Galiano Island
1. Pilgrimme: best for a culinary adventure
It's worth it to come to Galiano Island just to experience Pilgrimme itself. The restaurant is one of the best in Canada, making Canada's Top 100 Restaurants list. Creative dishes and ingredients foraged from the land and from the coast are creatively combined in this woodland cottage restaurant. It feels magical eating dinner in the middle of the forest!
Chef McCleery spent a season at Noma, a two-Michelin starred restaurant in Copenhagen known as one of the best restaurants in the world. During his time there, he advanced his cooking techniques and brought back new ideas to West Coast cuisine.
Pilgrimme offers a chef's tasting menu, which includes 11 delectable courses. The plates are small, so you won't be too stuffed! Each dish is beautiful presented and you will likely try a few ingredients you've never heard of, making it quite the culinary experience.
Our standout dishes were the koji and fish bone broth with tomato and fir oil, the charcoal alkaline noodles with black garlic and sour dashi, and the duck with onion, nectarine, cauliflower and silverberry.
The chef's tasting menu price is very reasonably at $85 CAD and an optional wine pairing is $45 CAD. Seating is limited at the quaint and secluded restaurant, so make sure to make a reservation online far in advance. If it's booked up, there is an option to be put on the waiting list.
2. Tranquilo: best for rustic island vibes
We were ecstatic to find Tranquilo, a Baja inspired restaurant located in the remote north end of the island. The head chef came from Bao Bei and Dirty Apron, which are two highly acclaimed eateries in Vancouver. Located at Bodega Ridge, the setting is lovely with wooden picnic tables and hanging string lights. It is the perfect island vibe!
We highly recommend trying their beer battered ling cod taco, tomato salad and kombucha cocktails.
3. Oxeeye: best for coffee
Oxeye is a newly opened cafe on Galiano Island. Grab yourself an Americano to pair with one of their Pacific-Northwest inspired cafe items, like their wild mushroom toast.
4. Flying Black Dog Cafe: best for lunch
Located in a quirky food truck, the menu items at this cafe are fresh and locally made. The food is fantastic and the perfect place to stop by for lunch as you explore Galiano Island.
Some of the items rotate on the menu, but if you see their chicken kebab in a pita, you must try it! It was so good we went back for round two.
5. Woodstone Restaurant: best for fine diningWoodstone Restaurant is a part of the Woodstone Manor, a fancy yet cozy boutique hotel that sits on nine acres of forest. The restaurant has a large outdoor patio that overlooks a pasture where rescued race horses roam. The cuisine is European inspired and the service is excellent and attentive. We started with chanterelle tempura and goat cheese fritters and finished with the poached duck
6. Crane & Robin: best for sunset views
Located at Montague Harbour, the Crane & Robin has lovely ocean views. The restaurant is known for its chowders, seafood and tacos. Grab a seat before sunset so you can watch the sun set over the harbour.
7. Wild1 Cookhouse: best for Thai food
Wild1 Cookhouse is a Thai food truck with funky island vibes. The outdoor seating is nestled in the forest and has a nice atmosphere. When we were there they served chicken sate, Phad Thai, rice curries and aromatic roasted duck. They are only open for dinner, starting at 4pm.
8. La Lena Pizza Patio: best for wood fired pizza
If you are craving wood-fired pizza, try one of the unique flavours at the La Lena pizza patio. We had the curry chicken pizza with onion, cashew and cilantro and it was tasty! We also heard a couple beside us talking about how good their duck confit pizza was, which comes with onion, cilantro and hoisin sauce. There are unique vegan options as well, such as the roasted yam pizza with roasted garlic, chickpeas and vegan cheese.
The service was very casual and could improve, but the the ocean views made up for it.La Lena is part of Galiano Oceanfront Inn & Spa, a boutique hotel with an excellent day spa.
Starting planning your trip to Galiano Island
- 🏡 Accommodation: see our list of the best B&Bs and hotels in Galiano
- 🌊 Fun Activties: see our list of the 10 top things to do on Galiano
- ⛴ Book your ferry: BC Ferries
- 🚗 Car rental: see Rentalcars.com to compare car rental prices across different companies.
- 🏥 Travel insurance: World Nomads. Already traveling? You can purchase insurance with World Nomads while you're abroad. A 48-hour waiting period just applies for coverage.
Explore more of the Southern Gulf Islands:
Save and pin these Galiano Island restaurants for later: